Sunday, March 29, 2015

Pet of March: Shelby, the "Cookie Monster" ...(and the Many Reasons to Adopt a Senior Pet)

       
Shelby's cool portrait, courtesy of Jenni C, with a enhanced Pop Art touch of Petzi

She loves to go out for long walks, enjoys the company of other dogs and is an avid consumer of treats. But there's something else that made us pick Shelby, the husky-shep mix, to be our pet of the month. At almost 13 years old, she teaches us that it's never too late to find love and be part of a family.

Fresh photo taken today! By Jenni C.

Shelby's owner surrendered her to a shelter last February. "Due to her age, she was expected to be euthanized, but was rescued just in the nick of time by a dog rescue group.", says Jenni C.  Sophie's Circle rescue group named her Emmy, and she was placed with a wonderful foster family. "I heard about her story and felt deeply affected by her lack of family and comfort during her senior years. So I contacted the foster family and arranged for her to spend a few days with me and my family of 3 dogs to see if she could fit in", says Jenni, who already has a big dog family. Shelby's personality surely helped a lot on Jenni's decision to adopt her: "Shelby is so friendly around other dogs. Her kind and non-confrontational attitude has really made her adjustment to her new retirement home a breeze". So she recalls: "A few days turned into a week, and a week turned into 2, almost 3 weeks. Things went so well with Shelby that I decided to make her a permanent part of our family".

Her time named as "Emmy" didn't last long : "She seemed to recognize her original name, Shelby, so we call her Shelby and her rescue family still calls her Emmy. She doesn't mind, she is just thankful to have a loving furever home for her senior years", tells Jenni.

The four furry friends: Kasie, Jaks, Molly and Shelby
Shelby's new family is a furry and happy pack: there's Kasie, a golden retriever mix about 8 years who was rescued when she was still very young. According to Jenni, Kasie "has always acted very motherly and has been very welcoming to Shelby by giving her kisses. I think Kasie is happy to have another mature female join the family".

Jaks, a terrier mix, who was found running down a busy street in the middle of the night is her other sibling. "After searching for his family to no avail, Jaks became a permant family member. He is now about 6 years old.", tells Jenni.  "Jaks is glad to have a new family member who, with her calm demeanor, doesn't hog all the attention", she says. And finally, there is Molly, who is about 3 years old and was also adopted from a rescue. "Molly is very excited to have a new sister and playmate, but has to be reminded that Shelby is an older lady and to be gentle around her", observes Jenni.

Shelby's family (Photo and art courtesy of Jenni C.)
Jenni says that Shelby has a healthy appetite for her crunchy kibble, mini biscuits and occasional shared treats with the family at meal time. When she is hungry she will refuse to go outside until she eats her meal. And she is very insistent when she wants to go for a walk! A long enough walk before she will go back into the house satisfied. But her favorite treat of all is her PetziConnect: "She is known for her head tilt and up-close and personal visits with the PetziConnect camera, a certifiable Cookie Monster". Just check it out Petzi.com photos here, so you can see her in action.

Shelby participated on a benefit Rainbow Bridge Walk to help raise money for her rescue and visit her foster-mom. "She really seemed to love visiting with all the other dogs, so we will definitely plan more get-togethers for the future! "plans Jenni.

Now, with you, Shelby's interview (with a little help from her human mom Jenni C.).

_ What noise that you most love in your new home?

When I hear the PetziConnect alert I must position myself directly in front of that little red light and tilt my head this way and that to determine the direction of "cookie" delivery! Sometimes I hear a dog bark and sometimes a doorbell, but soon I hear my new mom's voice and receive a yummy treat! This is the best game ever! Molly is learning how to be a cookie monster by imitating me!

_ What is the best thing your new parents/owners do for you?

I am so grateful and appreciative to have a warm and comfortable bed and to be surrounded by my doggy family and new mom. A familiar routine, a safe home, plentiful meals and a big yard are so important to an older lady, like myself. And I love to have my face rubbed!

_ Do you smell everything like every other dog in the world? What would be the best smell ever? 

I prefer long walks at my own pace with plenty of time to smell every scent.

_ Treat or food?

Favorite treat: PetziConnect mini-biscuits (aka cookies). And my daily yummy chewy liver and or poultry flavored joint-health vitamin. And any special treat brought home and shared with my family.

_ Do you love dogs as much as you love humans?

I love to be around other dogs! I went to a party where we walked with a bunch of other dogs
and had a wonderful time! Right now I tend to be a bit shy around humans until I can feel safe and learn to trust again.

_ Words of wisdom?

My message to shelter dogs, especially seniors: Do not give up hope. Remember you are loved and will never be alone. Always remember your happy days, and trust that your new furever home is just around the corner!



Long walks and treats are few of her favorite things!



         






No comments:

Post a Comment