Saturday, January 31, 2015

Pet of the Month: Albi, the Havanese

Cuteness warning: Albi is the most awwed pet since we launched Petzi's social site. Be prepared to have a girly-style OMG attack!  This interview brings some of the wonderful  photos taken by his mommy!


On the fast lane. By Evelyn J.

It wasn't not just his looks that made us look for his owners after choosing him "Pet of the Month". The 10 months-old Albi exhales happiness. We want to jump inside the photo to pet him. Probably that's how he convinced his "mom" Evelyn (someone who was not planning on having a dog at home) to keep him. To know more about Albi, here's David, his dad. As you will read, sounds like behind every happy dog there's always wonderful parents! Enjoy!


Contemplating beauty. By Evelyn J.

How did you find Albi?

We met Albi in our cousin's house in Albany, New York, last October. We quickly fell in love with him. Our relative and her family travel a lot and they were worried about Albi’s well-being. The initial plan was that Albi would stay with our relative’s sister, who also lives in Costa Rica. So, we agreed on bringing Albi with us on our flight back. But, once we landed, we realized we wanted to keep him. This dog is so adorable that we couldn’t let him go! In the end, our cousins agreed to give him away and Albi could stay with us.We were so thrilled we couldn’t believe how lucky we were.
Albi definitely shook my wife's heart. My wife thinks Albi started a new adventure as a Costa Rican, but I think she is the one having the biggest adventure discovering how sweet life can be with a touch of dog paw prints.


Catch me! By Evelyn J.



Relaxing. By Evelyn J.
Tell us more about Havanese dogs, the National dog of Cuba!

Havanese dogs are not common in Costa Rica, so we didn’t know that much about them until we met our pet. 

Over the Internet you find that this breed is a companion dog. They are also known as velcro dogs, because they stick so closely to their owner's side and I can say that this is 100% true. In fact, Albi’s favorite person is my wife, so he is always around her in the house. I am conscious I am his second choice, but once he looks at me with those expressive eyes I can see how much he loves me too. 

Havanese dogs are trainable. We have chosen the clicker training technique to teach Albi different tricks. These dogs are energetic and good at sports, which has translated into a more healthy lifestyle for us because now we can’t afford being lazy.

What is his favorite food and treats?

Albi loves cookie treats a lot! But, he also likes his food and that's something good for us, because we can even use his own food to reward him during the training sessions. He already knows how to sit under “Albi sentado” (Albi seated, in Spanish) order. There is a whole list of tricks we want him to learn, but for now he is being trained to stay down.
Adorable. By Evelyn J.
Part of the things Albi enjoys eating as well, are cauliflower, broccoli and bananas.


What is his best personality trait?

He is definitely a spoiled dog. Petting, hugging and snuggling are for sure the things he enjoys the most.





Is Albi a good friend for other dogs and humans besides you?

Albi loves other dogs. I think he wishes to play with every single dog he finds on the street. He is more selective with humans. They should first earn his trust by petting him, letting him sniff around a bit and then, he is ready to establish a friendship. 




What is his favorite park and getaways? Is he a good car traveler?

Albi really enjoys going out for jogging and walking, so it really does no matter which park you walk him through. As much as the two of us are with him he can be the happiest dog. Car trips are Albi's favorite, for sure! In fact, once he listens to the car keys, he runs next to the car door and as soon as I open the door he jumps in. Feeling the air in his head when the car is moving is one of his favorite things. 
Classic dog. By Evelyn J. 
 Is Albi  a demanding dog?

Oh yes! He lets my wife know whenever he needs a hug, but if he wants to play, I become his favorite person in the world. 



Relaxing (again!). By Evelyn J.

Now, Albi's interview: 

What noise that you most love in your home?

I suspect my parents think that what I like to hear the most is “a comer” just before I can start eating. But they’re wrong ... What I really like is to hear the sound of the car keys and imagine the places where I will be taken! I can't wait to feel the air on my face. There are so many new odors I can smell through the window. It makes me wonder if there are other dogs out there I can play with. When we are out on a trip, that’s my best time ever!

Albi, the fastest! By Evelyn J.


What is the best thing your parents do for you?

Like it's 4:45 am in the morning. Alarm is advising us that it’s a new day. What a short night! While I am still yawning one of my parents shows up next to me and takes me jogging. We go downstairs, I take some water and Yeah! I am excited now and ready to go. Hurry up, I want to go now! Woof woof! 

Once I’m back home, I have to wait at the door because I’m the fastest as usual.

Do you smell everything like every other dog in the world? What would be the best smell ever?

Yes! Specially when I’m in a new place. There are so many odors I have to smell. Also, I like the sweet smell kids have. I love them, somehow, I think kids are like me, or I am like them. I am not quite sure. 
That mostly awww-ed photo at Petzi Social (Photo by Evelyn J.)

When I’m at the park I breathe and I can feel the leaves, oh yeah! What a terrific odor! It was autumn when I left New York, so smelling and playing with leaves brings me many good memories. Good old times! 

Do you like cats?

Cats are interesting creatures, I haven’t socialized much with them. But, I like sniffing around with dogs more.

Treat or food?

Treat! Treat! Treat! 

Getting acquainted. By Evelyn J.

Do you love dogs as much as you love humans?

Every time I meet another dog, it’s bigger than me. So, that scares me a little bit. But once I sniff him out I realize that he is willing to play with me as much as I want to. In the end, I just want to play. 

Family selfie: Evelyn, David and Albi



No comments:

Post a Comment